Twenty-four people were killed yesterday in clashes between anti-regime demonstrators and security forces in Benghazi, reports and hospital sources close to the reformist newspaper Quryna Seif el-Islam Kadhafi, a son of Libyan leader.
"Eighteen people were killed Friday in Benghazi," he told AFP on condition of anonymity a source of Al-Jala Hospital in this city located at 1,000 km east of Tripoli. Shortly afterwards, the newspaper Quryna confirmed this assessment on its website, saying also that six deaths had been reported by the Medical Center of Benghazi.
The newspaper says that these demonstrators shot dead during a funeral Friday in Benghazi when they "tried to attack" a barracks and a police station. According to an AFP count compiled from various sources Libyan stock rises to 65 dead in Libya since the beginning of the revolt Tuesday against Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, in power since 1969.
The organization Human Rights Watch (HRW) reported on his side of a balance sheet total of 84 deaths: 35 Friday and 49 others Thursday Benghazi (20 in Benghazi, 23 Al-Baida, 3 and 3 to Ajdabiya Derna ).
The NGO, which is based on medical sources and witnesses said that most of the 35 people who died Friday in Benghazi were "killed by live bullets fired by security forces." An official at Al-Jala Hospital Benghazi told HRW that all doctors in the city were called to the hospital and that the public was invited to "donate blood".