Monday, February 14, 2011

A jump of 25 places for Raonic

Milos Raonic became Sunday, the first Canadian since Greg Rusedski in 1995 to win a title on the ATP circuit.
Aged 20 years and one month only, Raonic also became the youngest player to win a tour title since Marin Cilic in 2008.
His opponent in the final and ninth best racket in the world, Fernando Verdasco, had high praise for one who has climbed from 84th to the 59th position on the world stage Monday.
"I did well when he let me play on his service, he told the website Tennis.com. I think there should be another league for him and Ivo Karlovic because it's like another sport. They are used to 225 km / h at every opportunity, but Raonic is a better player than Karlovic.
"Nobody can predict the future, but I think it could rank among the top 20 players in the world soon. With his victory, he now finds himself among the 60 best in the world and this is only the beginning of the season. I think it will get better with every tournament he will play. "
Room for improvement
For its part, the young Canadian said that there are several aspects of his game he can still tweak.
"I will work hard to become a better player on the field, he said. I must especially improve my service returns as well as my transition game at the net to apply more pressure on my opponents.
"I'm also going to improve my service. Many people say it is incredible, but I think it may be even better. I can play against the elite and even if it will be difficult, I think being on track to find myself among the 10 best in the world. "
Canadian tennis is on the rise and Raonic would like to see more young people to practice their sport.
"If I can keep playing this way, I hope there will be more and more tennis on Canadian television. Thus, it will help our sport grow nationally. I think our country could develop many good players, "he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment